Call for Presentations
CFP is now closed. Thanks to all who submitted many proposals to our conference.
Our conference will begin with a group pilgrimage to Mt. Osore, with all other events at the Aomori Art Museum. Our call for presentations includes participation in panels and working groups. We will focus on interaction and discussion in all forms of presentation. Please consider the following points:
- You may apply for a panel and/or a working group.
- If you are applying for a working group, please indicate you working group preference by ranking your choices, 1 through 4, with 1 being your first choice.
- Each working group will have its own format, with shared papers and performative events. WGs will also present their key issues in the last roundtable of the entire conference. Please be aware that there are very few panel presentations and our working groups will accommodate more participants and forms of presentation.
- We are especially interested in presentations that focus on our themes but expand their application to other local, global, and virtual sites.
- English will be the main presentation language at our conference, but abstracts and elements of the program will be in English and Japanese. Discussion will be aided by some interpretation and translated abstracts.
Proposals might address (but are not limited to):
- Bodies contaminated, purged, purified
- Domesticated and floating performance
- Spirituality and Performance
- Pilgrimage and Performance
- Tohoku and Avant-garde
- Hijikata Tatsumi and Terayama Shuji ... and more.
* We DO NOT limit the area of the study to 'Japan' or 'Northern Japan'. Topics from/about various locations and contexts are welcome.
How to Apply
You may apply for both panel and working groups. While we will try to accommodate your indicated rankings in the working groups, we may suggest other contexts for your work. Please read the working group abstracts.
- Panel Presenters: 16 slots. 45 minutes each.
- Working group presenters: 20 slots for each WG.
List of Working Groups
- Corporeality Working Group (Curator: Katherine Mezur)
- Performance Working group (Curator: Peter Eckersall)
- Pilgrimage Working Group (Curator:Stephen Barber )
- Place Working Group (Curator: Yasushi Nagata)
If you choose the option of panel presentation only and you are not chosen for a panel, you may be invited to join a working group. We encourage abstracts which relate directly to our themes. We hope to assemble panel and working group presentations into publications in the future.